Director: Kim Ki Duk
Writer: Kim Ki Duk
Cinematographer: Jo Young Sik
Country: South Korea
- 2012 (69th) Venice Film Festival - August 29 - September 8, 2012 - Venezia 69 (Competition)
- 2012 (37th) Toronto International Film Festival - september 6-16, 2012 - Masters
- 2012 (20th) Filmfest Hamburg - September 27 - October 6, 2012 - German Premiere
- 2012 (17th) Busan International Film Festival - October 4-13, 2012 - Korean Cinema Today - Panorama
- 2012 (45th) Sitges Film Festival - October 4-14, 2012 - Noves Visions - Ficció
- 2012 (9th) Hong Kong Asian Film Festival - November 2-18, 2012 - Closing Film
- 2012 (69th) Venice Film Festival - August 29-September 8, 2012 - Golden Lion for Best Film
- 2012 (49th) Daejong Film Awards - October 30, 2012 - Best Actress (Jo Min Su); Special Jury Award
- 2012 Korean Association of Film Critics Awards - November 7, 2012 - Best Film; Best Director; Best Actress (Jo Min Su)
- 2012 (33rd) Blue Dragon Film Awards - November 30, 2012 - Best Film
Lee Jung Jin - Gang Do
Jo Min Su - Mi Son
Additional Cast Members
Woo Ki Hong - Hoon Chul
Kang Eun Jin - Hoon Chul's wife
Jin Yong Ok - Shop owner in wheelchair
Heo Joon Seok - Shop owner who commits suicide
Kwon Se In - Shop owner who plays guitar
Kim Jae Rok - monk
Yoo Ha Bok - Container man
A Vicious man (Lee Jung Jin) works for a loan shark as an enforcer. When customer are unable to pay for their outrageous interest payments the man forces these borrowers to gimp their own body to collect insurance money. A woman (Jo Min Su) then appears in front of the man and gets down on her knees. She tells the man that she is his mother and begs for forgiveness. The vicious man was given up for adoption as soon as he was born. The man quickly dismisses the woman as crazy, but her persistance soon cracks through the man's hardened outer shell. Can the mother and son find happiness at last?
Yeay! I'm back.. kekeke.. This review is made by poe_rea, it's really hard to reviewing this movie. I'm really focused when i watched this movie^^
The movie started with Heo Joon Seok commited suicide. Than Gang Do (Lee Jung Jin) who works as enforcer for a loan shark daily life appears. He threatening people to pay their interest payment. One day, Mi Son (Jo Min Su) appears. She is following Gang Do every where, and said he can't threatened people like that. She kneeling and told him to stop, she said she is his mom. Gang Do think she is crazy. But Mi Son keep following him.
Gang Do allowed Mi Son life at his place. Mi Son cooking for him, and she is knitting a sweater too. Gang Do thing that Mi Son makes that sweater for him, but Mi Son never give the sweater to him. Gang Do start to feel that Mi Son is his mother. They go to a place for planting a tree.
One day, Gang Do watering the tree. Suddenly, he got a phone call and heard his mom screaming. He is running away and found that his mom is missing. He tried to find Mi Son. He received a picture of abandoned building, he run to that place. He saw her mother. Mi Son screaming and crying. Gang Do kneeling and said don't hurt Mi Son. Mi Son jumped from the building and died.
Gang Do burried Mi Son, while he digging he found a man corpse using his mother sweater. He take the sweater and use it. Gang Do is in deep sorrow and commit suicide.
So sad, every body is died, i means the protagonist. I think is a dark movie, because it's not a happy ending movie. I'm addicted to a happy ending movie^^ It's a great movie. Emphaty for Gang Do, because i think he really need a mother role in his life. Well, wait for another movie that i will review. Enjoy to watch this movie^^
Source: Asian Wiki