Tofu jorim is a Korean side dish primarily made with tofu. In Korean, dubu translates into tofu and jorim literally means braised. However, tofu is not slowly cooked but rather pan fried for few minutes and then re-fried once more with a mixture of soy sauce, gochugaru, minced garlic, green onions along with other ingredients. Tofu jorim is very easy to make and also doesn't require a lot of time to prepare either.
This side dish is considered very nutrious and healthy as tofu, soy bean curd, is cholesterol free, low in saturated fat and rich in minerals and vitamins such as iron and calcium. Tofu is also a great source of protein with low calories and known to help lower bad cholesterol levels when compared with other types of protein foods.
- 1 pack firm tofu
- 1/3 cup corn starch or flour
- 1/4 cup onion (1/4 onion)
- 1/4 cup carrot
- 1/4 cup green onion (2 green onions)
- Some oil for frying
- Salt & black pepper
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Rinse 1 pack of firm tofu in water once, and then wipe off the water with a paper towel.
- Divide the tofu an half and then slice it into half inch pieces.
- Sprinkle some salt and black pepper on both side of the sliced tofu. Set it aside while you are preparing the other ingredients. This process helps pull the water out of the tofu and gives it flavour.
- Finely chop the onion, carrot and green onion to make 1/4 cup of each.
- Add 2 tbsp of soy sauce, 3 tbsp of water, 2 1/2 tsp of sugar, 1 tbsp of minced garlic, 1 tbsp of sesame oil, 1 tsp of sesame seeds, 1 pinch of black pepper, and the chopped vegetables in a small bowl. Mix them all together to make the sauce.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of cornstarch or flour. cover the tofu with some cornstarch.
- In a heated non-stick pan, add 1 or 2 tbsp of oil, and then place the tofu in the pan.
- Fry both sides of the tofu until they become golden brown on medium-high.
- In a heated pan or wok, add the fried tofu and the sauce.
- Fry for 5 minutes on high
- Occasionally stir gently..Be careful not to break the tofu. 5 minutes later, the sauce will thicken.
Source: Trifood, Aeri's Kitchen